Indika L Wanniarachchi is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Physics at the University of Sri Jayewardenepura. He received his B.Sc. degree with a first-class honor from the same department in 2005. He joined to Department of Science and Technology, Uva Wellassa University of Sri Lanka as a probationary Lecturer at its inception in 2006 and contributed to development of the university in many ways. He completed his PhD thesis in the field of computational physics titled “Low Energy Positron Interactions with Biological Molecules” under the supervision of Prof. Croline Morgan and graduated from the Wayne State University, Michigan, USA (2008-2013). He resumed his duties at Uva Wellassa University in 2013 and extended his contributions to develop the university further in teaching, research and social responsibilities. In 2015 he joined to the current working place, the Department of Physics, University of Sri Jayewardenepura.
After completing his doctorate, he decided to expand his research interest more on applied physics areas: Computer Vision and Image Processing, Computational Physics, Electronics and Embedded Systems and Electronics Structure.
Honors and Awards
- Business Solution Awards 2015 – “Monitoring Fermentation of Black Tea with Image Processing Techniques” University Business Linkage (UBL) Unit, Uva Wellassa University
- Business Solution Awards 2015 – “An automated soil and climatic conditions controlling greenhouse: a preliminary study” University Business Linkage (UBL) Unit, Uva Wellassa University
- Summer Dissertation Fellowship, Wayne State University, USA, 2013
- Thomas C. Rumble University Graduate Fellowship, Wayne State University, USA, 2012-2013
- Gustafson Graduate Teaching Assistant Award, Wayne State University, USA, 2012
- Winner of the “Physical Science Awards- 2005”, in the field of physics awarded by the Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science (SLAAS)