2006 - Present
This course unit offered by the department of physics to both physical science students as well as biological science students. This is also an optional course available for students who are not offering Physics as a subject in the applied science faculty.
This course covers the fundamental aspects of Relativity such that Einstein’s Special theory of Relativity and Introduction to Special theory of Relativity in Western and Eastern Philosophies.
Course Contents :
*Introduction to Philosophical Background of Science *Discovery of the speed of Sound *Discovery of the speed of Light *The Concept of the ‘Ether’ *Michelson – Morley Experiment
*Einstein’s Postulates *Measurement of ‘Time’ and its experimental background *Proper Time *Measurement of ‘Length’ and its experimental background *Time Dilation and Length Contraction *Doppler’s Effect in Relativity
*The Energy Equivalence *Relativistic ‘Energy’ *Relativistic ‘Momentum’ *Einstein’s Relativistic Energy Equation *Relativistic ‘Mass’ *Experimental background of the Relativistic Mass *The Twin-Paradox
*Transformation Equations *Galilean Transformation Equations *Lorentz Transformation Equations (Time Dilation and Length Contraction ) *Lorentz Inverse Transformations Equations *Lorentz Invariants
*Four Vector Spaces *Causality, Experimental evidence *Causality in Eastern and Western Philosophy
* Brief Introduction to General Relativity
*** Also this course is an Optional Course available for students who are not offering Physics as a subject.
- Newton to Einstein – Ralph Baierlein.
- On the shoulders of the Giants – Stephen Hawkins.
- The Brief Introduction of Time – Stephen Hawkins.
- Relativity for the Layman – James A. Coleman.
- Understanding special theory of Relativity – Y. R. Waghmare.
- Testing the Theory of Relativity – Brian Jones & Gerald Laban.
- Elements of Special Relativity – S. P. Singh & M. R. Badge.
- What the Buddha Thought – Rev. Walpola Rahula.
- Special Relativity – A. P. Fench.
- Special theory of Relativity – B. L. Warsnop.
- Special theory of Relativity – David Bohm.
- An Introduction to the special theory of Relativity – Robert Kats.
- Introduction to the special theory of Relativity – James Smith.
- අභිධර්ම මාර්ගය – පුජ්ය රේරුකානේ චන්ද්රවිමල හිමි
- අභිධර්මයේ මුලික කරුණු – පුජ්ය රේරුකානේ චන්ද්රවිමල හිමි
- අභිධර්ම සමුච්චය – පුජ්ය හේම්පිටිගෙදර ඥානසීහ හිමි
- සුත්රපිටකය (දීඝ නිකාය, මජ්ජිම නිකාය, සංයුක්ත නිකාය, අංගුත්තර නිකාය, ඛුද්දක නිකාය)
- සාපේක්ෂතාවාදය සරල බසින් – ප්රසන්න මධුරංග ප්රනාන්දු [Sarasavi Publishing]